It took me a while, but I finally finished a book for the first time in a few years. It is not that I do not enjoy reading... I just always have something else that seems more important (aka... I'm lazy). BUT... this book was amazing. I'm still pondering it a month after I finished it. Wendell Berry has written several novels about characters who live in Port William, KY. This particular book is about Hannah Coulter's entire life from her perspective.
I really connected with her story because my grandparents and great grandparents lived a similar lifestyle--life out in the country on a family owned farm. It was all they knew, and it was all Hannah Coulter knew. There were so many ups and downs in her life. I was crying during her sad times, furious during her hard times, and rejoicing during her better times. It was so real to me, and it taught me so much about life, change, love, and family.
Her story really taught me about true love though. Her first husband of three years died during the war, and after a few years of moving on, she spent the rest of her life with Tom Coulter. She went through everything true love entails--pain, suffering, loss, trust, happiness, comfort, companionship, etc. It was so enlightening to me. Who knew Hannah's story would be such a wonderful learning experience for me?
During my next break, I will be reading another one of Wendell Berry's books, and I would encourage any one who reads this to pick up Hannah Coulter someday. You will not be let down.

1 comment:
thanks for reminding me about your blog - i'm already enjoying it:)! you've inspired me to read this book!
Post a Comment